A clothes dryer is to blame in a fire early Tuesday morning that caused significant damage to a Winnipeg home.

The fire broke out around 12:30 a.m. in a one-and-a-half-storey, single-family home in the 1000 block of Chevrier Boulevard. 

When crews arrived at the scene, they found smoke coming from the house. They entered and fought the fire from inside, declaring it under control at 1:05 a.m.

Damages were mostly contained to the room where the fire started.

Everyone in the home was able to safely self-evacuate before crews arrived. No injuries were reported. 

Preliminary observations suggest the fire was accidental, caused by an electrical malfunction of a clothes dryer.

Firefighters suggest these tips to reduce the risk of these types of fires:

  • Have your dryer installed and serviced by a professional to ensure it is in good working order.
  • Do not use the dryer without a lint filter, and always clean the filter after each load of laundry.
  • Periodically check the venting system to ensure no lint buildup and that it is not damaged, crushed, or restricted.
  • Make sure the outdoor vent flap opens when the dryer is running.
  • Never leave a dryer running when leaving your home.