A construction worker is dead, and another is in hospital after high levels of carbon monoxide were found in a house under construction in Charleswood.

Just after 8 p.m. on Wednesday, the Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service (WFPS) responded to a medical emergency at a home on Beck Cove.

When they arrived at the scene, the carbon monoxide detectors fastened to their medical equipment bags went off.

Paramedics quickly evacuated bystanders who were helping an unresponsive person. That person was declared dead at the scene. 

When firefighters arrived, they recorded readings of over 2,000 parts per million (ppm) inside the house. 

The two bystanders were assessed and treated by paramedics. One was transported to hospital in unstable condition. The first-arriving paramedics were also taken to hospital for assessment and treatment.

The WFPS believes a gas-powered pump running in the house was the cause of the carbon monoxide build-up.

Fire crews ventilated the house, and Manitoba Workplace Safety and Health were notified about the incident. 

Winnipeggers are reminded that carbon monoxide is extremely dangerous and has no colour, odour or taste. If you suspect carbon monoxide in your home, exit immediately and call 9-1-1.