A Winnipeg man is recovering from injuries he sustained after attempting to search an apartment building that was on fire on Sunday morning.

Firefighters were called to the 0 to 100 block of Renfrew Street for a fire in a two-storey building just after 10 a.m.

When crews arrived at the scene, they encountered smoke coming from the structure. An offensive attack was launched and the fire was declared under control at 10:51 a.m., the City of Winnipeg says in a release.

Residents of the building were able to get out before firefighters arrived. However, the press release says that a bystander from the neighbourhood attempted to search the building in the event additional occupants may be trapped inside. He sustained injuries and was transported to hospital in stable condition.

Crews completed a search of the building when they arrived and no other occupants were found and no other injuries were reported.

While fire damage was contained to the suite where the fire originated, other areas of the building suffered water and smoke damage. The City of Winnipeg’s Emergency Social Services was called to assist displaced residents in finding temporary accommodations

Preliminary observations suggest the fire was accidental, caused by an electrical malfunction. Damage estimates are not available at this time.