A 25-year-old man is in police custody, and an adult woman is dead following a collision on Tuesday evening at Fermor Ave. and St. Mary's Rd.
The Winnipeg Police Service says that a red Audi A4 was travelling at a high rate of speed eastbound on Fermor Avenue approaching St. Mary's Road around 8:35 p.m..
Police allege that the Audi entered the intersection on a red light, narrowly missing other motorists. The victim was crossing from the south side of Fermor Avenue on the east side of the intersection when she was struck, causing fatal injuries.
Police say that the driver of the vehicle then fled the scene.
Members of the WPS responded and located the vehicle and suspect in the 1000 block of Beaverhill Boulevard.
Members of the Traffic Division have assumed the investigation.
The man, who is from Winnipeg, has been arrested and charged with the following:
- Operation of a conveyance causing death while impaired to any degree by BAC or drug or combination of both
- Dangerous operation of a conveyance causing death
- Fail to stop at the scene of an accident knowing that or reckless as to whether they were involved in an accident causing death
- Within 2 hours of ceasing to operate, a conveyance is impaired with BAC equal to or over 80 mgs
- Drive without license or with an invalid license
Anyone with information, including video or dash camera video footage regarding this incident, is asked to contact Traffic Division investigators at 204-986-7085 or Crime Stoppers at 204-786-8477 (TIPS) or online at winnipegcrimestoppers.org