No one was injured following a fire Monday night in the city's North End.

After 11 p.m. the WFPS responded to reports of a fire in a two-storey, single-family home in the 800 block of College Avenue. 

Crews launched a fire attack from the inside of the home after finding smoke inside. The fire was declared under control at 11:50 p.m. 

All residents self-evacuated safely before fire crews got to the scene. 

Preliminary observations suggest the fire was accidental, caused by an electrical failure in an appliance.

Residents can reduce the risk of an electrical fire by following these tips:

  • Have all electrical work done by a qualified electrician.
  • Check electrical cords to make sure they are not damaged or running across doorways or under carpets.
  • Extension cords are intended for temporary use. Have a qualified electrician add more receptacle outlets so you don’t have to use extension cords.
  • Use only one heat-producing appliance (such as a coffee maker, toaster, space heater, hair dryer, etc.) plugged into a receptacle outlet at a time.
  • Major appliances (refrigerators, dryers, washers, stoves, air conditioners, microwave ovens, etc.) should be plugged directly into a wall receptacle outlet.