The Manitoba Government is providing nearly $215,000 in operating grants to 38 rural and northern communities this year to support festivals that promote their heritage, culture and identity.
About a dozen of those recipients are located in the Pembina Valley and Red River Valley. They include:
- City of Winkler, Harvest Festival and Exhibition, Aug. 12 to 14. ($8,055.32)
- Morden Corn and Apple Festival Inc., Morden Corn and Apple Festival, Aug. 26 to 28. ($8,055.32)
- Musée St. Joseph Museum Inc., Festival du Patrimoine Montcalm Heritage Festival, June 11 and 12. ($2,796.81)
- Plum Coulee Heritage and Recreation Development Corp., Plum Coulee Plum Fest, Aug. 19 to 21. ($4,477.14)
- Town of Altona, Manitoba Sunflower Festival, July 22 to 24. ($5,824.80); and
- Valley Agricultural Society, Manitoba Stampede and Exhibition, July 22 to 24. ($40,600)
Click here to view the full list of 2022 recipients. https://news.gov.mb.ca/asset_library/BG-2022_Community_Festival_Grant-SCH.pdf
“Manitoba is known for its lively cultural heritage that is reflected in a variety of festivals across the province,” said Sport, Culture and Heritage Minister Andrew Smith. “I am pleased to announce our government’s support for these events, and I encourage Manitobans to get out and enjoy some family-friendly fun at our great Manitoba festivals.”
The Community Festivals and Events Program provides rural and northern communities with operating grants for organizing festivals that take place over a minimum of two days. The festivals must be recognized as the community’s signature annual event and promote the understanding, awareness and appreciation of its heritage, culture and identity.
The Community Festivals and Events program supports events that:
- encourage youth participation and leadership;
- reflect, celebrate and profile the unique character of the community;
- foster a sense of identity and pride; and
- contribute to local tourism and economic activity.
Click here for more information about the Community Festivals and Events program including how to apply.