A convenience store employee is lucky to be alive after surviving a near-fatal gunshot wound when confronting an armed thief.
On July 25, 2023, at approximately 11:30 a.m., the Winnipeg Police Service’s General Patrol and Tactical Support Team responded to the report of a male, indicating he had been shot and seriously injured.
Officers located the 21-year-old victim with life-threatening injuries at a convenience store in the 800 block of Logan Avenue. He was transported to the hospital in critical condition and has since been upgraded to stable condition.
With the assistance of video surveillance, it was determined the accused attended the store, selected a drink and left without paying. The victim/employee observed the theft, followed the accused outside, and confronted him. The accused subsequently pulled out a sawed-off shotgun, shot the victim, and fled on foot.
At approximately 6:00 p.m., the accused was located at a residence in the 800 block of Main Street and taken into custody. The Major Crimes Unit took over the investigation.
Dakota Raven Lee Bruyere (22) of Winnipeg was charged with the following offences:
- Attempt to Commit Murder
- Armed Robbery using a Firearm
- Possession of Firearm, Restricted/Prohibited Weapon or Ammunition Contrary to Prohibition Order
- Possession of a Prohibited or Restricted Firearm with Ammunition
- Possession of a Firearm Knowing its Possession is Unauthorized
- Carrying Concealed Weapon Prohibited Device or Ammunition
He was detained in custody.