Improper disposal of smoking materials is to blame in a fire that left several West End residents in the cold early Wednesday morning. 

Shortly before 7 a.m. yesterday, fire crews responded to an eight-suite converted residential dwelling in the 300 block of Beverley Street. 

At the scene, crews saw smoke coming from the building. All occupants self-evacuated before crews arrived. No injuries were reported.

Firefighters attacked the fire from inside the building, containing it to the suite where it started. 

Preliminary reports suggest the fire was accidental and related to the improper disposal of smoking materials.

Winnipeggers are reminded to do the following things to prevent a fire:

  • Put out smoking materials in an ashtray or a deep, wide metal container filled partway with sand or water
  • Douse cigarette butts with water before putting them in the trash, 
  • Never use a plant pot as an ashtray, as potting soil contains organic materials that can catch on fire. These types of fires can smolderer for hours before turning into larger flames.
  • Never throw a cigarette butt out a window as it can land on dry grass or something else that could catch on fire.